Monday, September 8, 2008

First rejection and he's not even out of the MTC



The kid needs to start dating his letters (Shane says he can't date--he's a missionary!)--this must have been written sometime before 9/04)


Hello Rowley family!

There is so much I have to say...e-mail is so much faster than this, although it is very nice to get letters! I love you all so much. England is so weird. Or maybe it's normal and I'm weird. More about that later...guess what I'm doing right now? Listening to music on my new British CD Player! We just got back from town and it was really different, but amazing. I already love the people and wish I could tell them about the Gospel but we aren't allowed to yet. We already had a rejection experience though, this guy came up and asked how to join us (there were a lot of us Elders in town) then when one of us went to shake his hand he pulled his away and laughed and walked off. It hurts to see people reject Christ.

Anyway, I'm eating well and sleeping well and just feeling great all around. My preparation is paying off, thanks for that! I also feel your prayers blessing me daily. The work is tough and I feel overwhelmed, but I absolutely love it. I love my teachers and District and President Sorensen and his wife and pretty much everyone here. I feel at home here, there is no other place in the world I'd rather be.


In other news, we went to the Temple this morning, it was amazing. This Temple is so uniquely beautiful, I can't wait to send pictures. The whole place over here is just great. Oh and it's kinda raining right now, it's been doing that on and off ever since we got out of the Temple this morning. Before we went into the Temple it was blue *skyes...this weather is amazing.

(Personal notes to each of us)

Well, that's about all I have for now. Oh and by the way, my companion is 24 and engaged. And he is just about the most relaxed Elder (or Aldste in Swedish) in the MTC. The Lord has blessed me so much already and it hasn't even been a week! This is going to be a great two years!

The church is true no matter what anyone says. Obey God and you will be blessed. Expect trials. Do hard things. You are all amazing and I love you so much!

Love,

Elder Rowley

*he's turning British already!


Luke says there are no sisters there right now--so they have to use the sisters washroom

4 comments:

Geo said...

Great letter.

That rejection, however, had no class at all.

dalene said...

No class at all. That made me think of my own mission. Perhaps it's looking at the past with rose colored glasses, but I don't remember people being deliberately mean like that.

It made me wonder if people treat the sisters a just a little bit differently? We got catcalls and there was a lot of what we called getting "fished" where people gave us fake addresses or phone numbers. But people weren't outright mean. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

I AM SO EXCITED! Hearing from him is such a joy! I can hear his voice. What an amazing man. He has already blessed so many here with his spirit and enthusiasm. I know he will do great things even if it is just planting seed. Thank you Rowley family for sharing him and his experiences.

Happy Harrison said...

Missionaries are electrifying! I love the spirit that radiates from them, their letters, their smiles, everything! In so many ways it is such a simple life they lead; preach the gospel and be happy. (and yes, I also vividly remember how excruciatingly hard it is at times)