Monday, September 14, 2009

Sacred experiences

Date: Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:49 AM
Subject: Sacred Experiences


Hello Family and Friends!

I'm a happy Elder today. Everything is going amazingly well, and it sounds like miracles are happening there as well! From what I read every week it sounds like you've all changed a lot since I saw you last, which makes me happy because I know you've changed for the better! I love the Gospel.

First of all, my driving is going well. I'm so happy to be able to drive. Only a couple more lessons and I should be able to take my test! Wish me the Spirit!

This week I've had a few experiences that are very sacred to me. For that reason I will be brief as I share them and some of you can expect to hear more about them in a little while.

The first I will share is that I had the opportunity to give the Holy Ghost to Harry Wilson. The Baptism was amazing. The spirit was burning. Elder Burnett and I got to speak and sing. Many people came. And Harry has now passed through the gate to the Celestial Kingdom!

Yesterday was the confirmation and I'll just say that the spirit was very strong. I love the Holy Ghost. It really is the most precious of our Heavenly Father's gifts to us here in this life. I testify that we must live by the Holy Ghost every day in order to be happy.

Another experience was at interviews and training. I learned a lot last week. The training was here in Rochdale and we learned from Elder Ayers and Garcia and our Zone Leaders. We learned how to teach the Plan of Salvation better and I'm excited to teach it now. I even hope that one day I'll get to teach you using these amazing skills that the Lord is giving us. I love this work so much.

And finally, I had one with Elder David A. Bednar. I spoke with him. In front of the whole mission (I was in my seat and he was looking at me). I testify that he is called of Jesus Christ and that Jesus Christ is real and I know from this experience that He knows me. Elder Bednar left me a very special commitment that I'm excited to work on. I understand my life better because of this experience. I know my special purpose better. I received a lot of personal revelation in that time. I love our Savior and I know that He knows me and He knows each one of you. If I could share one thing that I learned from this experience, it would be that repentance and forgiveness are the least of the blessings of the Atonement. More importantly, Jesus Christ can give us the strength to invite others to come unto Him. It is more important to serve others than to repent. Elder Bednar stated that we didn't come here to spend our lives in the "cleaners". We came here to help others become the seed of Abraham by inviting them to come unto Christ. No other work is more important than this, and every other thing we do in the Church, and in our lives, points towards this. Even repentance is so we can serve better. And if you think about it, service is what our Father in Heaven does all day every day. I know that this is true. The Church is true. The Gospel has been restored. Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God. He did see our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ all those years ago. We can experience the blessings of the Atonement through what he did. I testify that prayer and scripture study are some of the most important things we can do to receive revelation. It's how Joseph Smith experienced what he did. I testify, as a representative of the Lord Jesus Christ, that our Savior loves you and He knows you. And He can help you as you live His Gospel. I know this because I have experienced it in my own life.

Anyway, I hope you all have a wonderful week. The spirit burns in my heart even now. Seek the Holy Ghost by faith, by action, and you will be happy. I pray that as you live the Gospel you will recognize the blessings of the Atonement in your lives. I have and still do. Keep up the amazing work. You truly are Saints, and the Savior is proud of you. Let me know what else I can do for you! I love you!

Love,

Elder Rowley

PS- If you've written me a letter and I haven't written back I apologize and I'll do my best to write back soon.

No comments: