Date: Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:35 AM
Subject: Happy December!
Hello Again!
Wow the weeks go so fast... before I know it I'm going to be out of Shrewsbury and into another area and then one day even getting on a plane to go back to Utah! I love it though.
Well I guess you're all wondering about Thanksgiving. We got to eat with a member family and it was amazing. I got to play the piano for a little while before it was ready and they had their parents over who are Senior Missionaries in the Birmingham Mission and the food was amazing! We had the traditional turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, and vegetables, and a chocolate pie for dessert! Oh it was great. They really made us feel like home there. The spirit is so strong in the members homes, I feel so strengthened every time we go to one. Other than that we talked with people in the park and taught one of our investigators on Thanksgiving. It was a great day, and it actually felt like Thanksgiving!
On Sunday we got to go to Newtown and it was amazing. They forgot bread for the Sacrament so we had chocolate biscuits, it was really different but the Spirit was the same. That's how I feel every time we go to Newtown. It was really good that we were there because the Branch President was away for his daughter's wedding so they really used our help. And the lesson in Sunday School was all about Missionary Work! All of the wards in the Newcastle Stake (that's the stake we're in, it's massive) had this same Missionary lesson and it's really exciting to see the members here starting to get excited about Missionary work. Speaking of which, how are your Missionary experiences going? I know it's tough in Provo, but I know that anything is possible with the Lord's help! This is the Lord's work and He will help us do it! Just keep praying with faith to have Missionary experiences and they will come, I promise. I'm excited to hear about them too!
Monday was interviews and it was great. I just love working with so many incredible people! We had some training while the interviews were going on and it was great. The spirit was strong throughout the entire thing, I learned a lot and I'm excited to apply what I've learned!
Yesterday was an incredible day. In the morning we went to the park and got to speak with a lot of really amazing people. There was one couple I spoke with who was just really happy. And the husband was able to tell me to the minute how long they had been married! He was a really funny man, I really enjoyed speaking with him and his wife and everyone else I spoke with at the park. In just a short hour we reached our daily goal of ten Quality Gospel Conversations! It was great. And on top of that the sun was shining! In the afternoon we got to go to Attingham Park and do some digging there, it was tiring but a lot of fun. I just love serving there, the people we get to work with are so nice and it's just so much fun! Then in the evening we got to go to a less-active members home for dinner! She made us soup and bread and peas, carrots, Yorkshire puddings, and lamb. For dessert we had trifle and then after dinner we taught her about the Atonement. It was such an amazing evening! She is such a wonderful lady who I hope you get to meet someday. I really felt at home in her home last night, it was great! She's always so nice and she makes us feel comfortable and the best part is that she is always sharing stories about how music has influenced her life, I just love it. So yesterday was pretty amazing.
Well, that's the highlights of the week. Other than that the work is still difficult here, but we have a transfer in a week. Speaking of which, you'll need to start sending letters to the Mission Office now. I have a good feeling that I will not be in Shrewsbury in a week. It's exciting, but at the same time I'm really going to miss my greenie area. You'll probably get an e-mail late next week, so don't worry!
Anyway, the Church is still true. Jesus Christ is our Savior and I love Him so much. He really has suffered all of our pains, sicknesses, afflictions and temptations. I have felt the power of the Atonement here on my Mission so much. I know that that power is available to us any time we need it. I know that because of the Atonement our lives have purpose and meaning. The Atonement is the most important event that has ever occurred on this earth. Just think about it for a moment: Jesus Christ died for us. He went through all that suffering for us, because He loves us and He wants us to have eternal happiness. I know that this is all true and it makes me so happy that we have this knowledge and that God has given us the matchless gift of His son. I've been thinking about it a bit lately with Christmas coming, and I realized that the gift of the Atonement is great. My Spirit is happy to have this gift, and that it really is the gift that keeps on giving. I know that as we share our knowledge of the Gospel with others and invite them to come unto Jesus Christ, then we will come unto Him ourselves. Prayer works. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. Joseph Smith was a true Prophet and Thomas S. Monson is our living Prophet today. Jesus Christ is at the head of this Church and He guides and directs us through President Monson. I love this Church and I love being a Missionary!
Well, I'll write more next week. Thanks for all of the prayers for this area and for myself and those I serve with. They are being answered. Your love and support and letters and everything is much appreciated and they all help me be a better Missionary so I can better help others come unto Jesus Christ. Keep the letters coming!!! You have no idea how much it means to me to see a letter for me in the flat. It really helps so much with everything. I love you all, keep up the amazing work! Don't forget I want to hear about your Missionary experiences! Have a wonderful week!
Love,
Elder Rowley
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment