Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy Boxing Day (three holidays in one week--wow!)

Date: Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 9:44 AM
Subject: Happy New Year!!

Hello!!

Wow, it's the last day of 2008, that is crazy! It went so fast! What's really crazy is that before we know it we'll be saying the same thing about 2009!

It's been a great week! Christmas was AMAZING!! After opening our massive pile of packages and presents from the ward members, we spent the morning with a part-member family with two children and it was a lot of fun. We played table football and we built Legos and played uno and had a roast duck lunch, it was the best! After our phone calls home we went to another family's home and it was a lot of fun there too. Their name is the Dangerfields, how cool is that? We got to play the Wii and have some food and then we just talked with Brother and Sister Dangerfield, it was great! The next day was Boxing Day and that was so much fun. We did our weekly planning first, then we went to another family's home and played Monopoly and had some lunch, it was a lot of fun. I don't know how in the world I did it, but I won Monopoly, it was pretty crazy! Then right before we left they came out with two bags of presents for each of us, it was amazing, this Ward has really made us feel at home!! We then went to another members home and had dinner then played a German board game, it was a lot of fun as well. It's been a great holiday season here!

Since Christmas and Boxing day we've been really busy teaching and finding people to teach and it's been pretty crazy and a lot of fun! The work here is going very well right now and hopefully it will pick up even more after New Years. The sisters that were here before us had a lot of investigators, most of which have been on holiday and will return within the next week or so. I'm excited to meet all of them and get busy teaching!! I love being a Missionary, it's the best!

Yesterday was quite tough. I came down with a bit of a head cold, and was pretty sick and lethargic most of the day. Don't worry, it wasn't anything big and I'm fine now, but it was tough. The Lord took care of me though and I was able to make it through a full day of work. Even if we had 3 appointments fall through! That happens all too often, people just aren't there when they say they will be! It's fun though because the Lord knows that that will happen before it does and we are placed in the path of another amazing person who we can speak with and get an appointment with.

The Church is true and nothing will ever change that. The Plan of Salvation is true and is perfect. The Atonement is the greatest thing that has ever happened in this world and I know that it did happen. Jesus Christ really did pay the price for all of our sins, and He did suffer for all of our pains, trials, temptations, and sicknesses. I felt His help as I was sick yesterday, and it was amazing. It is amazing. We can feel the power of the Atonement in our lives at any time. God does live and He does love us perfectly. Our relationship with Him is so deep that we really will be surprised at well we know Him when we pass through the veil. He wants to help us in everything we are experiencing. We can do nothing without Him. He has given us everything we have and He will continue to give to us as we obey Him. The Book of Mormon is the word of God and it brings us closer to God. I love that book and I love our Heavenly Father. I know that true happiness comes from seeking the happiness and welfare of others, just like Jesus Christ did. I love being a Missionary, never before have I looked at life as I do now and I will never look at it the same again. This is the best thing I've ever done!

Well, I'll let you go now. I hope you have a wonderful week filled with Missionary experiences! I'm still itching to hear about some of them! They really do make us happier, I promise! Anyway, Happy New Year! I Love you all, thanks for all of your support!

Love,

Elder Rowley

PS-Missionaries NEED letters. (thanks for the ones that have been sent by the way!)

From Dalene: In his letter to me Luke also mentioned he got to see a whale:

Oh yeah and I forgot to say that I saw a whale this morning, it was just surfacing and it blew up some water for a second then disappeared, it was beautiful!


I guess one is so lucky when one lives on the shore of the Irish Sea...

No comments: