Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Circle of men



Date: Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:28 AM
Subject: Much LOVE from Elder Rowley!

Hello again!

Another week has gone by... it goes so fast! I know I say that all the time but when you are on a Mission it's twice as true. It's already difficult to remember what we did yesterday because of all we've done today! It's like that every day! I just love being a Missionary so much, I have so much to share with you this week.

Last week on Thursday we had interviews and it was incredible. President Bullock is one of my heros, he is so amazing. We got some instruction from him and from his assistants and also from our Zone Leaders. I just love everyone I get to work with here! They are some of the most amazing people I've ever met in my life. And the best part is that my love for them grows each day. Oh and I was very thankful to get 10 letters from the Mission Office that day!

The very next day we went on an exchange with the Elders in Telford (the town just about 12 miles East of Shrewsbury). It was wonderful. I got to stay in Shrewsbury with Elder Pettersson from..... Sweden!! It made me miss Elder Stenborg. I learned so much from Elder Pettersson though, he's in our district and I always do every time we get to see him. He is one of the most humble people I have ever met in my life. The next day after the exchange I felt everything about my life as a Missionary change. I was doing approaches differently, being better at talking with everyone, and just being even happier all around! It was an amazing experience. I absolutely love my District, they are amazing. The other thing I love about being with the Telford Elders is that when we get to go to their flat we always say a prayer before we leave and we huddle in a circle and put our arms around each other and pray. The spirit in that circle is amazing. I just love it.

The next day on Friday we got to teach some of the youth in the stake how to teach the Restoration (PMG lesson 1) and how to GQ. It was amazing. I've decided that I'm going to teach at the MTC when I return to Utah. These youth were amazing, their testimonies are so strong! It gave me a glimpse of what the Prophets mean when they say they love the youth. All of us just fell in love with them. Oh and when we went out to GQ they did so well! They were testifying and inviting people to pray and giving away pass-along cards and just doing an amazing job. It was all so much fun!

One thing I keep hearing is something like: " we are so blessed to have a Temple only a few (2-3) hours away, we should go more often." It made me so thankful to have had the opportunity to grow up with the Temple being so close. I hope you are taking the opportunity to go the Temple every week. Remember that few places in the world have a Temple as close to them as you!

The other night Elder Ayers and I had to drop a couple investigators and it was really sad. We really grew to love them both and we realized that even though we couldn't see them anymore Heavenly Father still loves them and desires their salvation. I learned so much from them. You'll hear more about them, and all of these stories, when I return to Utah.

On Monday we got to go on an exchange with the Assistants, and I got to go with Elder Porter. The other one is Elder Farrant. Elder Porter is from Canada and this is his last transfer. He will be on his way home 2 weeks from right now. I can just feel how bittersweet it is for him to be leaving. He told me how he now just loves the people and talking with everyone and serving them and just everything about being a Missionary. He taught me so much and I'm a changed Missionary because of what he taught me, it's amazing. I'm so excited to apply what I learned from him and continue to grow and improve! Both of the Assistants just have an amazing spirit about them and I hope to be the same way.

The work is going well this week, it's tough though. Shrewsbury is a tough place but we're hoping and praying that Heavenly Father will soften hearts and open minds and guide us to those who are prepared. Things just get better and better every day though. Last week we went from four investigators to only one. But with our plans this week we hope to get back up to four. It's really exciting though.

The language is coming along quite nicely, although sometimes it's really difficult to understand people. Especially the children. They are so cute, just imagine someone Kyle's age speaking with a British accent. I think I'm kind of picking it up myself, but I don't know. For the first time in my life I'm a minority and that is weird. Nevertheless, I love it. I love everything about being a Missionary.

The weather is the best. It rains and then its sunny and the sun is at strange positions in the sky all the time and it's just great. It makes me so happy. I just love tracting in the rain, it's so much fun!

The food is great. I had my first Kebab last week. If you've ever been to the Pita Pit that's excatly what a Kebab is like, except maybe 3 times larger. It was really good. Oh and this morning I made ham fried rice for lunch and it was delicious! I love learning how to cook!

Well, I'd better wrap this up. Thanks for everything you do for me. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. I hope I didn't say the word love too much but really that's what this great work is all about. LOVE. Love the people no matter what, love your companion, love the work, love the ward, love all those you serve with, love getting doors slammed in your face, love tracting, love street contactiong, love the trials, love study, love love love. I just love it all. God is love and I get to represent Him... it only makes sense that I would be filled with love. There is nothing like this feeling in the world, I've never felt this good before. Zack, you are going to love this so much. Every young man needs a Mission. It's so wonderful.

The church is so true. God lives and loves us so much. Thomas S. Monson is God's chosen Prophet and is there to help us. Do what he says. Nothing else can make you as happy, that I can promise with all my heart. Do everything he, and all the apostles, say to do. Jesus is the Christ and He really did suffer and die for us. Because He loves us more than can comprehend. As He was walking to the cross... as he was being beaten... as He was being mocked... as He bled from every pore... and as He gave His last breath on the cross He was thinking about us and how much He loves each and every single one of us. I promise that He knows every single one of you who will read this. Deepen your relationship with Jesus Christ daily, there is so much happiness available when we do. I absolutely love Him in every way. I'm so thankful for what He has done for us. Without Him we have no purpose, our lives are nothing without the Atonement He performed. I love getting to represent Him and all day every day be able to look down and see His name over my heart. Being on a Mission has brought me closer to Jesus Christ than I ever thought possible. Oh I just love this so much. Words just cannot describe it.

Have a wonderful week, keep praying for the people of Shrewsbury and Newtown, they need it so much. I love you all so much. More next week!

Love,

Elder Alan Luke Rowley

PS- I'll send pictures soon, hopefully.

No comments: