Saturday, August 16, 2008

you've got mail

Well, not yet anyway. Last week I went to visit my favorite postal workers at the East Bay Post Office to find out about mailing and shipping to the U.K. (It's 94 cents for up to one oz. of letter and $37.50 to ship birthday packages up to 20 lbs. just in case you are interested.) The postal worker told me it would take two weeks to get a letter there, but he's only in the MTC for 19 days, so I thought I should start early. It was supposed to be a surprise, but since Luke caught me passing around note paper I'll spill. We had a mini-family reunion on Saturday with all of my siblings who came to here Luke speak on Sunday. I collected a few words of wisdom and even a recipe--my favorite line is when people wish him "Good luck with the language"--and put them all together to send off that day so he would have something waiting for him when he got there. (That's a little trick I learned from Shane who had a reputation throughout my branch in the MTC and throughout my entire mission for being the best boyfriend a girl could have writing to her.)

So Sunday I was talking to a friend whose daughter is currently touring Europe and she tells me they've been getting letters in three days.

Oh well.

Anyway, I'm grateful for the examples in my life who have taught me how to be a good missionary mom. I'm a good e-mailer, but I need to learn to be a good snail-mailer, too, as word on the street is that real mail is still a good boost for those out in the field even with the immediacy of mail over the world wide web.

1 comment:

Geo said...

We all love to have something we can hold in our hands and put in our pockets and wave in other missionary's faces (just guessing on that one).

Your dear letter will keep!