Friday, August 22, 2008

the power of chocolate


I've taken all of the next week off so I can be at Luke's beck and call. I don't want to have any regrets about time not spent together before Luke leaves (because, you know, it's about time.)

Our plan is to hit a couple of movies, eat Indian food, go to the temple one more time and just enjoy each other's company. (OK, but I am not helping him pack. I'm no good at that. I don't help friends move away, either--I take in food, but I can't bring myself to pack.)

Today was cross-the-last-things-off-the-"to-get"-list day. Bank, Mall, Wal-Mart(sigh), lunch at Rhumbi Island Grill.

Check.

We entered the mall on the Nordstroms end (we never go there) because someone told me converters were cheap at Eddie Bauer. But Eddie Bauer no longer carries converters. We then needed to go towards the Macy's end, but something whispered "See's Candy" in my ear so we headed in the other direction first. Turns out it was not about the candy. As we were walking I spotted a girl I used to work with at the BYU Bookstore. (You know, some 25 years ago.) Here name is Julie Preece. I don't remember names very well, but I really got a kick out of Julie and have enjoyed bumping in to her around Provo for the past two decades about every 10 years or so. I remember her name and her face very well.

Here's the thing, Julie just happens to be from England. I hollered "Hi!" across the mall and went over to ask her from exactly what part of England she hails.

I'm sure you can guess the rest of the story. Of course she is from the Manchester Mission and she just happened to be there at the mall with her two sisters, also from there. They travel there frequently and therefore had wonderful tips for Luke about the people and about the food, and even how to economically plan a trip to go pick him up. It's always delightful to visit with Julie, but especially so when she had this wealth of information about her homeland she wanted to enthusiastically share with us.

There are no coincidences. Our encounter was certainly meant to be.

Moral of the story: One should always pay attention to a craving for fine chocolate.

2 comments:

Geo said...

I will remember that next time I am tempted to be strong in the face of, er, temptation.

COOL!!!! I especially like her idea about your travelling there on the cheap. Listen, listen.

Anonymous said...

I am absolutely listening to your advice on this one!