Monday, June 21, 2010

Not the only Elder Rowley

Date: Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 7:02 AM
Subject: Re: Somewhere out there...

Hello Everyone!

Well, I'm excited to not be the only Elder Rowley in England anymore! It's going to be a great couple of months with both Zack and me here serving in the north! In other news, Elder McKechnie and I have had a wonderful week. So many miracles have happened and I don't even know if I have time to tell you all about them all. Here it goes.

First of all, I had a short conversation with a deaf woman on the street the other day!! I told her about the Book of Mormon and she signed to me that she was orthodox and I couldn't really communicate any further, but I was able to tell her that it was good to see her and to wish her a good day. It was amazing. Then on Sunday the same deaf man that's been at church the past couple weeks was there again and I got to talk- or sign- with him as well. I'm starting to get excited about sign language again.

The other miracle was at Church yesterday. Peter Molnar was confirmed and is now one of the newest members of the whole church! It was a wonderful experience and he's been doing well as we've been seeing a few times over the past few days. I'm excited for him to progress and receive the Preisthood and go to the Temple and everything. Hai Ming (Michael is his English name) was also at Church yesterday and really enjoyed it as well. He will be Baptised this weekend and we're very excited for him to progress as well!

Another Chinese man named Jim was also at Church yesterday. He was found when I was working with Elder Jin on Tuesday. I felt that as Elder Jin and I worked together that we needed to teach a Chinese man, so we were praying about it and hoping for it. As we were street contacting around the University here in Preston we were blessed to teach a Caucasian young man named James who was amazing, we're excited about him. Not too long after we taught him I saw a Chinese man in a red t-shirt walking down the street. Elder Jin and I ran down the street after him and as I started speaking with him he didn't understand too well. Sure enough, once Elder Jin started speaking Chinese he understood completely and before we knew it we were walking into the courtyard of his flat complex to teach him! Elder Jin taught the whole Restoration lesson in Chinese, I'm so proud of him. It was a great miracle from the Lord! We're excited to help Jim start progressing towards Baptism!

Also at Church was a great Nigerian young man named Henry. Elder McKechnie street contacted him about a week ago and we taught him for the first time on Saturday. We're also excited about him, he has a lot of promise.

Well, that's about it from me this week. The Church is true. The Gospel really does change our lives. I was thinking recently about one day early in my mission that really changed my life. I was struggling with homesickness and the work wasn't going very well and it was just very hard. The future looked bleak. I remember having a prompting to just pray until I felt better. I felt weak before the prayer, but as I prayed I felt strengthened as I talked with the Lord about what I was going through. That prayer changed the course of my mission. I was reminded from this that prayer really does change things as we do it. I think it's more like the Lord changes our lives as we pray. I'm so thankful for this and I know that it's true. Whenever we're struggling, or even when we're not struggling but just want things to be better than they are, we can pray and tell the Lord of our trials and of the changes we would like to see. Then, as we get up off our knees and "forget ourselves and go to work" He changes things for us. I testify of the truthfulness of this because I've experienced it for myself. The Gospel is true. It has been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith. The Book of Mormon is the word of God and it is the keystone of my testimony of this great Gospel and work.

Thank you again for all you do for me. I always must remind you that if it weren't for you I couldn't be here today. I love you all so much and I hope you have a wonderful week!

Love,

Elder L. Rowley

No comments: